so, first time make a post mortem, as my understanding post mortem consist of what i learn and what can i improve, so lets get to it, writing this at 2:45AM!
first thing first, sorry for any grammar mistake :)
Yggshroom is my second LD jam entry, and automatically my second compo entry, if i look back, theres quite lot of improvement that i made from back then, especially on graphical/aesthetical side, and also i learn a lot from my mistake and comment from the game page
i made this game in about 30-ish hours with all the asset, and the longest time i take is for searching the Game Idea, even thought it looks simple and very silly, believe me, i waste lot of time to think about that :))
What i like from the final result :
- I like how at the end it well put together, i honesly at first didn’t think that the obstacle, the generator and stuff will work, but in the end they almost complemented each other, adding additional difficulty yet not feeling too gimmicky/artificial
- The visual, even tho some of the sprite kinda rough and not fit the majority sprite very well (especially the mushroom) its mostly my mistake to resizing the sprite without consideration and to draw some sprite in 32×32 canvas and most of them in 16×16.
- In the end the game end up like i want it to be, it fit what i imagine/planning in my head, and that makes me quite happy
What i dislike from the final result :
- I still use music generator, i know its probably not a bad thing, even LD themself encourage to use them, but still, some music just didnt fit very well, its so “bad” that i need to turn the volume very low on the main game, i hope for next LD i can write my own music
- I chose the wrong font, not a mjor mistake either, but really bugging, WTH am i thinking when chosing that font in the first place?, my game using pixel art style, why i chose smooth font? *sigh*
- so, the real idea i chose that font is because i want to show/point up the Norse theme, because…well, Yggshroom itself i taken from Yggdrasil Tree which is from norse mythology, so….yeah
- The game too short, yup, this one of my problem too, at first i thought that my game got a reasonable lenght for a compo entry, BUT after played some game, i just realize that my game very short and lack of variation, i need to do better next time
- lack of variation, theres quite of people complaining about this, and i whole heartedly agree with them.
What i learn from LD34?
well in the end, i was under-prepared, and my game not polish really well, i was too short thinking about the whole idea and slip up the game variation design, and i’m too “overproud” of my work that i’m not using remaining hours to polish the game up.
Theres lot of room i need to explore,learn and re-learn, and hopefully i can “grow up” and make a better game at LD 35 on April (i think…CMIIW 😀 )
so, this is the end of my post-mortem jam, i don’t know if i even do this correctly lol
heres link to my LD34 entry if anyone want to try it : Yggshroom